Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Dark Knight Rises - Live Wallpaper for the Android Market


https://market.android.com/details?id=com.waikin.darkknight&feature=search_result

 LEARNING - I decided to make a live wallpaper based on the infamous scene of Gotham City crumbling in the The Dark Knight Rises teaser trailer. BUT I graduated from an architecture school, I had zero knowledge on how to make one.

So I learned things online for 3 weeks, mostly from Nehe, Jayway and some youtube tutorials on Eclispe; I was ready. I decided to do an OpenGL (3D) one instead of the easier 2D canvas wallpapers. Why not the easier one you might ask? Cuz 3D is far more impressive on your android phone of course.

DEVELOPMENT - Couldn't import 3D models due to the fact that I just can't get a 3D model import framework to work (I tried min3d and objLoader for too long; and sadly to no avail). Hence, what I did was I wrote an OpenGL cube class then scaled and translated them to make the scene. The easiest part was the textures which I made from collages of images through Photoshop (have loads of experience in this).

RELEASE - What a nightmare. It worked on my Samsung Galaxy S2, so I thought it should work fine on others when I release it. Man I was so naive. Emails came in after I published the app on the market; saying  it doesn't load. Thankfully, I fixed one of the texture loading problems which was 'the power of 2' issue. but I still haven't figured out why it doesn't load on several phone models. As of today, 29% of phones have uninstalled it; which should also mean the percentage of phones out there that can't run the app.


ERRORS - Don't want to clog this post with my codes, so here's my coding issues below.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7406470/problem-with-executor-service-in-eclipse-for-android-app
http://www.anddev.org/post103773.html#p103773
http://www.anddev.org/post103772.html#p103772
Cried for help in forums to those with more coding experience. Haven't gotten a response so far.

RECEPTION - Mixed reviews obviously. What sucks so bad is that the bad ratings and reviews only come from those phones which can't load my live wallpaper. The feedback from those that worked is amazing though. So basically I could have easily gotten a 4.5 and above rating for this if it works on all phones. It really really sucks that my ratings dropped cuz of an incompatibility issue, it sucks! I don't have an old phone to test and figure out what's wrong so I can only hope someone in the forums would help me fix the codes. I've seen so many other batman live wallpapers that are far worse than mine; not to be cocky.

What's next - I'm working on how to import 3D models into a live wallpaper service, though its quite impossible for an individual developer to figure out; especially with only a month experience in Java let alone Android. Hopefully developers could share their knowledge on how to get obj files into live wallpapers; as even the best loader min3d doesn't have any examples online.
If I do learn them, I'm gonna import my models from Maya to develop more live wallpapers.

In the meantime, do support my app. There's a free and paid version. If it works and you like it PLEASE RATE and comment. If it doesn't load, PLEASE EMAIL your phone model and android version to waikin182@gmail.com .








No comments:

Post a Comment

Portfolio

London, United Kingdom
I aim to find the balance between aesthetic form and function through art. I believe that digital art, or any form of illustration; shapes the way people perceive and understand something without a direct experience of it.

World without humans

World without humans

Kinectopus

Kinectopus

Dragonball - Goku vs Piccolo

Dragonball - Goku vs Piccolo

The Difference Engine - London riot

The Difference Engine - London riot

The Difference Engine - Engine Room

The Difference Engine - Engine Room

Lightning Ball

Lightning Ball

Burst

Burst